Thursday, June 28, 2012

Oatmeal & Egg White Pancakes


OATMEAL & EGG WHITE PANCAKES= AMAZING BREAKFAST


To be honest with you guys, when I first heard about these pancakes I thought it sounded like the most disgusting thing ever. But despite this initial reaction, after hearing a fellow makeup artist telling me how she lost a ton of weight by including these healthy pancakes in her diet, I became curious? The healthiness of these pancakes sounded amazing! Only made of oatmeal and egg whites, no flour, no chemicals, the perfect pancake…? I LOVE pancakes and french toast, but don’t feel right eating them every morning because of the carbs. These are such a great alternative, and I feel great starting my day off with this.

Can I really have my pancakes and eat them too?


Soon after hearing about these, I googled recipes and tested them out, and omg, they are not gross at all, they are really good! I adjusted the recipe to make these amazing and super healthy pancakes super easy! They really taste like pancakes considering what they are made from, it’s a little bit of a different texture/density, but I actually prefer them over regular pancakes any day of the week.

One morning I made them for my fiance, (he was only my boyfriend at the time) and he totally loved them! Being really into fitness and working out twice a day, these are the perfect mix of heart healthy oats and protein in egg whites. He was in love.

He has become such a pro at making them because he likes to eat them so often. We both like to make a big batch, then storing the extra ones in a plastic bag in the refrigerator and just eat them cold straight from the fridge. You can eat them plain, with fresh fruit, like a crepe, or just like a traditional pancake with syrup!

So recently while he was cooking up a batch, I took some photographs to share with you guys. While he was cooking the pancakes I cooked up some turkey bacon, which is really low fat, and prepared some fresh berries.

 Turkey bacon!

It is really easy to make these pancakes and they are flour-less! So yummy.

If you are looking for a pancake recipe without any flour? Look no further! This heart healthy recipe is great tasting and great for you!

Turkey Bacon, fresh berries, 3 oatmeal egg white pancakes.
 
My fiance eats 3, I usually have only 1 or 2.

Here is the recipe that we use, it doesn’t have to be exact. If you want less carbs use a little less oatmeal:

Ingredients:
2 Cartons of egg whites
4 packets of instant oatmeal (we use the brown sugar & cinnamon oatmeal which already has some sugar in it) you can use regular if you don’t want any sugar in them.
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

1 teaspoon of cinnamon
Mix all ingredients into a large bowl with a wisk, and blend together until well mixed. Let the oatmeal soak for about 5 minutes in the egg whites to soften up.* Coat the pan in a light layer of cooking spray. I use the olive oil spray from Trader Joe’s. This is so that the pancake doesn’t stick.  Using a 1/2 cup measuring cup pour enough to thinly cover the bottom of a medium pan. Cook until consistency is cooked enough that you can flip it over and cook the other side.

** Sometimes I will use a food processor to chop up the oatmeal, then add the egg whites. The food processor mixes the finely chopped oats and egg whites together nicely, makes it look more like batter. But my fiance and I like the texture so we just hand mix them usually.

Mix ingredients together with a whisk & measure out with a measuring cup.
The olive oil spray I use from Trader Joe’s to coat the pan before cooking each pancake.
After flipping the pancake over. . .
Store them in a ziplock bag.
They are great when reheated or even eaten cold!
Store them in a bag in the fridge for a breakfast on the go or snack!

Try these modifications:
Blueberry pancakes: Add 1/4 c blueberries (fresh or thawed) to recipe and omit cinnamon.
Oat-Nut pancakes: Add 1 1/2 tbsp diced pecans, walnuts, or almonds to recipe.

Enjoy!

Love,

Sunset Blonde

No comments:

Post a Comment